Thursday, February 18, 2010

Feb 18th hybrid class


This weeks class was very challenging. It was a lot of material to try and figure out on our own, and was a lot of reading. The information about copy writing is very useful in the classroom so we do not get ourselves in trouble. There are so many different confusing rules to know about copywriting that I am to scared to use anything in class. I will defintely keep the printout we received as a reference tool to help decifer what is okay and what is off limits.


David Thornburg took a much different approach about cheating in the classroom. I never thought about cheating in the perspective that he brought up. One teacher was expressing concern that one of her students was texting to another student that was in the library looking up the answers to a test for him. This teacher wants to not allow students to have this type of technology in the classroom. Thornburg points out that the questions we should be asking shouldn't be able to be looked up on the internet or in a book. The types of questions that we should be asking should require more thought out answers. I really found his approach on education to be very interesting and I think it will defintely have a place in our future. Why should we teach students to remember things that the answers are at our finger tips. As adults if we don't know something we just do a search for it to find the answers. Our students are merely coping what we do everyday! Now a days we have to challenge them to think a little deeper than true or false and multiple choice.


I am not very big on social networking, but the story about the sidekick phone helped to put social networking into perspective. I never knew that there were that many people that actually read so much on the internet and follow other peoples lives and stories. It is a little unbelieveable and kind of scarey to think that so many people can get involved with something as petty as a cell phone being found in a cab. Wow!


I never knew that our schools website had this program Scholar. It can be very helpful for doing projects and research. It is especially neat that you can follow your classmates on there. I am very new to bookmarking and tags, but I see how it can be beneficial. Diigo is a very new site for me, I am having a hard time figuring it out and am going to have to ask for help in class on thursday. Maybe my brain just decided to give up at that point, either way I will need help!

5 comments:

  1. I agree that there was a lot of information for this class session. It was kind of overwhelming at times. I knew blackboard had something called scholar but I never looked at it. I never knew what a helpful research tool it could be. Looking back at research papers I’ve done, I think I could have saved a lot of time if I had just used Scholar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie,
    It is amazing how much children catch on to adult's behaviors, I totally agree with the observation you made, why teach something that can be answered with the click of a button. Many students follow in their parents foots steps, so like you said, why would they not want to use the internet in the same ways that we do and actually learn more about any given subject. Personally, it seems pointless to restrict our students learning just because we want to live in the past. Teachers have such a great opportunity to teach beyond anything that was taught traditionally, we need to take advantage of technology and share it's benefits with our students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamie,

    I agree with it was a lot of material but useful information. I had difficult time trying to figure everything out from home but I finally got through it. I also was a bit astonished when I discovered how many people would follow someone's life on the internet. I definately agree with you on it being a bit scary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was very enlighten by the copy righted material. There is so much on the internet that we take for granted not realizing we are actually stealing. There was lots and lots of material in to go through this week.

    I use social networking sites and I realize how fast information can be spread, but I was surprised by the influence the Guy in the Sidekick story was able to get behind him. Being able to force the police to do something is pretty amazing stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea, I agree, the last class session was a bit complicated. I hope everything is a breeze from here on out!

    It's scary how someones personal life can be spread so fast via text and social networking sites. This is something we need to monitor in our personal lives for ourselves and our children's lives.

    ReplyDelete